November 17, 2010

overcast

 Overcast- Madison Warner
The sky groans as gray clouds gather
My heartbeat descends
I watch the deepening gray closing in
The ground is cool beneath my back.

My heartbeat descends
I grow restless, my mind wandering
The ground is cool beneath my back, beneath my outstretched arms
My once running legs stiffen, growing cold.

Restlessness grows as I let my mind wander
Feeling small, my eyes close as raindrops rest on my face
My once running legs stiffen, growing cold
Sweat and sky mix on my raw skin.

Feeling small, my eyes open while raindrops coat my face
Don’t let me go
Sweat and sky mix, playing on my bare skin
The sky groans, filling with gray clouds

My heartbeat ascends; I can hear you walking toward me
The ground is cold beneath me, my face warm
Don’t let me go
I watch the deepening gray as you close in
Cool blue eyes rest on my face
My mouth dry, the words are blocked
The raindrops soak my hair
Don’t let me go.

My mouth dry, I try forcing the words out
Searching your face
I watch the deepening gray
Cool blue eyes rest within my own.

Rooted to the ground, I stay still
Searching your face, my eyes filling with rain
You lay down next to me
Clouds turn to crystal blue, as I look at you

I could lay this way forever
Searching your face, my eyes full of rain
Don’t leave me, for now
You lay next to me

My heartbeat descends

No comments: